Do you need to work out a strategic plan? Build your team? Launch a project? It's unlikely that you will be able to work through these projects in a one- or two-hour meeting—which is why many companies choose to hold an annual retreats at resort destinations like "The Pines Resort and Lodges".
Taking time for a retreat eliminates daily work distractions and helps set the tone that the project you are working on is important and worth extra time.
Here are some tips on how to pull off the ideal business retreat:
- Hold your business retreat at least one hour away from the office. The last thing you want is it to be interrupted with excuses about needing to "take a break," and use it to head into the office for 15 minutes. The idea of a retreat is to leave the office behind.
- To get the most bang for your buck on a business retreat, you really need to make it an overnight event. This helps keep everyone from staring at their watch all day, assuming that when 5 p.m. hits, they get to jet. Overnight retreats let people relax and not rush the experience.
- Aim to have all your meals together as a group. This will be a great time for bonding and personal insights to occur. And when people feel more connected and more trusting of each other, they will work together way better.
- Undertake an activity or two. The retreat should not be about simply taking a break. Rather, it is about doing something where you have fun together. Where you laugh together and challenge each other. The whole idea is that, at the end of the event, you have something to talk about. You have built an experience together – a story you can share. And this means more bonding (and we just talked about the power of that, in the above point).
- Take some small toys along on the retreat – the kind that can be pulled out when you are having brainstorming sessions. You would be amazed at how well small toys, squeeze balls, and Etch-a-Sketches can help to get the creative juices flowing.
- Before you even head out to the retreat, have an agenda that everyone agrees to, in advance. Make sure you get everyone’s input on the agenda. Being able to help put their insight into the agenda will make them that much more interested in participating in the entire experience.
- Wrap up your business retreat with compliments. Have everyone sit around a conference table and, one by one, compliment each person on something specific from the retreat.
Once you get back to the office, let a week or so pass, so that any initial grievances have a chance to air out. Then follow up to see if there is anything anyone feels should be done differently next year. Whether or not your first retreat goes well, you should plan on doing it annually.
If you find that there are things that should be done differently, make a note of them for when it comes time to plan next year’s retreat. There will probably be a few kinks to work out, at first, as you are learning the ins and outs of holding a business retreat. But do it long enough and it will be on autopilot. And you will likely notice that your company sees a powerful impact from taking this retreat together.
Moose Hollow Lodge is the ideal destination for those considering any type of business retreat! Our many amenities and our beautiful location, as well as our size, offer the flexibility you will need to design the perfect business retreat, no matter how many people or what kinds of activities you have in mind. Whether it's a small group getting away from the everyday in private luxury, or everyone in your office having fun in Pigeon Forge!
Maybe you're planning a small retreat for your company's leadership. They'll enjoy relaxing on our decks, surrounded by the natural beauty of our area, and in the quiet luxury of their rooms at the lodge, with jetted tubs, cable television, and glowing natural woodwork. Our indoor heated pool, in a spa setting with a stone fireplace and gorgeous natural light, is a relaxing oasis. Retreat participants will find inspiration and fresh ideas during their time here at Moose Hollow Lodge.
Perhaps you'd like to bring your whole company to our luxurious lodge--up to 56 people can rest in comfort in our welcoming spaces! The chance to get away from everyday distractions lets your entire staff relax and focus on their goals, connections, and inspirations. They can enjoy our state-of-the-art cinema and our game room, or play basketball, tennis, and horseshoes right here on our grounds. Our lodge's great room is waiting to welcome your company, with its magnificent stone fireplace and spectacular architecture; it's a great place to hang out and have fun. Help your teams deepen their friendships and strengthen your company by bringing them here to Moose Hollow Lodge to play and relax in luxury!
No matter the size of your group or the goals of your retreat, participants will love spending it at Moose Hollow Lodge. Our kitchen has plenty of space for preparing meals, with luxury appliances, an ice machine, and a commercial coffeemaker, and we offer your choice of gas or charcoal grills outside, too! Deer and wild turkeys roam in the woods around the lodge, and the views are second to none: come enjoy the beauty of our area while you relax, recharge, and spark new ideas.
With Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge just down the road, we offer many opportunites to have fun together. Whether it's shopping, exploring Dollywood and other area attractions, fine dining, or outdoor adventures like riding, rafting, hiking, or even riding a zip line!